While pregnancy is a miraculous time in its own right, once your baby’s born, their rapid development will continue to amaze and surprise you each and every day. The first year is full of milestones, both those that we’re quick to add to the baby book and those that we don’t even realise are happening. Here, 20 ways that your baby is growing and changing (at warp speed!) during year one.
1. Your love and affection are actually causing your baby’s brain to grow (it’s scientifically proven!).
2. Half of their sleeping hours are spent in REM sleep (compared to just 25 percent in adults).
3. After about six weeks, your baby will be able to make direct eye contact with you.
4. After about six months, they’ll start to try to read your lips.
5. Better stock up on those diapers — a newborn urinates about every 20 minutes, with this frequency decreasing to approximately every hour by six months.